What are the best exercises to burn belly fat? I am sure that you might have wondered. Belly fat are those fats in the abdominal area and are often caused by a sedentary lifestyle, less physical activity, genetics, poor eating habits, slow metabolism, stress, to name but a few.
Multiple studies reveal that having excess fat in the belly region can be very dangerous at times as it may be accompanied by myriads of health condition, including high blood pressure, insulin resistance, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, asthma, breast cancer, and colorectal cancer.
These and more are why you must take action now to be on the safer side. This article lists the best exercises to burn belly fat, and simple instructions on how to go about it.
13 Best Exercises to Burn Belly Fat Immediately
Below are some science-backed exercises that can help shred that stubborn belly fat:
1. Running or walking
Running and walking are considered one of the best exercises for burning those love handles on the belly. When you work out, your body will be able to burn calories, and the percentage of your body fat will also reduce, which in turn results in reduced belly fat. Running and are simple exercises to do if you’re busy.
On the plus side, you don’t need any equipment to burn belly fat with running and walking. All you need is a good pair of shoes, and you are good to go!
2. Lying Leg Raises
This exercise targets the fat in the stomach area and is great for getting rid of belly fat.
- Lie down on a mat and place both hands by your sides while placing the palms flat on the ground.
- Raise your feet off the ground a bit, look directly toward the ceiling, and engage your core. This serves as the starting position.
- Lift your two legs to a 90-degree angle and gently bring them back down
- Just before reaching the ground, raise your legs again.
- Perform 3 sets of 15 reps
3. HIIT Sprints
- To start with, you need to jog at 6 mph.
- After 60 seconds, begin to run at a higher speed (10-12 mph). Continue doing this for about 20 – 30 seconds.
- Slow down once more and jog for 60 seconds
- Run for about 20 – 30 seconds
- Do the move for a minimum of 5 minutes.
4. Bicycle crunches
Bicycle crunches are undoubtedly one other best exercises to burn belly fat. They focus in the fat in the abdominal area, and are very effective.
- Lie flat on the floor and place both hands by your side.
- Place your two hands just behind your head while you interlock your fingers [optional].
- Raise your right leg such that your thighs will become perpendicular to the floor and the calves parallel.
- After that, lift your shoulder blades simultaneously and turn your body to make your left elbow touch the knee of the lifted opposite [right] leg.
- Lastly, straighten your right leg, keep it above the floor and at the same time bend your left leg while rotating the upper body in order to make your right elbow touch the knee of the opposite[left] leg.
5. Sumo squat
- Spread your feet wider than your shoulders and put your feet into a 45-degree angle.
- After that, perform 90 degrees squat as you lift your hands to meet under the chin.
- Lastly, come half-way up, and then go down once more.
6. Forearm plank
- Put your forearms on the floor. Place your elbows below the shoulders, and let your arms be parallel to each other at about a shoulder width’s distance.
- Are you done with the above? Raise your body up in a push-up like a position in such a manner that your bodyweight becomes borne by the forearms and toes.
- Maintain this position for close to 30 seconds if you are new to this exercise and gradually increase the time as you get used to it.
- Lie face-up on the ground, bend both knees and place your feet flat on the ground.
- Put your hands directly behind your head and the thumbs just behind your ears.
- After that, curl up and forward in order to raise your head, neck, and shoulders off the floor.
- Hold for a few seconds and then gently go back to the starting position.
- Repeat as many as you possibly can.
8. The bicycle exercise
- Lie flat on your back and place both hands directly behind your head.
- Lift both knees to chest level and at the same time lift your head and shoulders off the floor
- Bring the elbow of your right arm to the left knee and straighten the right leg
- Alternate sides by bringing the elbow of your left arm to the right knee while you keep your left leg straight.
- Continue alternating sides so as to simulate a pedalling motion
- Be sure that the breathing is relaxed and even
- Perform 1-3 sets with 12-16 repetitions.
9. Mountain climber
- Start by coming into a plank position.
- Raise either of your feet a little up and begin to bend your knee while pulling it up between the front of your body and the ground.
- After that, take the leg back to the initial position.
- Repeat this move with the opposite knee.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-distance apart and drag your hips back while you lower your body toward the floor in a low squat.
- Put your hands just outside of your feet and hop the feet back, with your chest touching the ground.
- After that, push the two hands against the ground in order to lift your body up into a plank, then jump the feet directly outside of your hands.
- With the weight of your heels, jump explosively into the air while your arms are overhead.
This is one of the easiest exercises to burn belly fat. Doing them doesn’t just help you get rid of belly fat but helps you increase your flexibility.
- Get a mat and lie on it, flex your muscles and place your heels on the flat surface. Begin to engage your core and put both hands on the thighs. Raise your head and shoulders away from the ground while you take a look at the knees. This serves as the starting position.
- Now, lift your body off the ground using your core strength and come to a sitting position.
- Return slowly to the starting position slowly.
- Perform 2 sets of 12 reps
Planks are one of the most popular exercises to burn belly fat. They don’t just work your core: They work your entire body and is very easy to do.
- Kneel down on a mat and place both elbows on it.
- Stretch your right leg back and then followed by the left leg.
- Let your neck, back, and hips remain in the same line and engage your core.
- Maintain this pose for a minimum of 30 seconds.
- Perform 3 sets of 30-60 seconds.
13. Exercise ball crunch
- Lie on the exercise ball and firmly plant your feet on the floor.
- Place your hands across the chest or better still behind your head.
- Begin to contract your abs and raise your torso up and forward.
- Gently lower back down.
- Let the ball remain stable during each crunch.
- Breathe out when you crunch; breathe in when you lower back down.
- Perform 1-3 sets with 12-16 repetitions.
Listed above are some of the top exercises to help you burn fat in your belly region. Here are a few tips to help accelerate your fat-burning process:
- Avoid consuming sugar-sweetened drinks
- Eat more protein
- Cut carbs from your diet
- Eat foods rich in fiber [ideally viscous fiber]
- Monitor your caloric intake
- Get enough rest
- Avoid eating foods rich in trans fats and added salt
- Shun or stop taking alcohol
- Avoid or limit stress.