Egg rolls are one of the popular Nigerian snacks that are sold by the roadside and in big pastry shops. If you are a lover of this amazing snack, then it may delight you to know that this can be made in the comfort of your home using the right ingredients and of course, the right method. There are many recipes on how to make the Nigerian egg roll. You may have wondered how people come up with such delightful and tasty snacks.
Well, if this is your first time trying to make them or you have been looking for an easy method to do so, you are in the right place.
The ingredients required are:
- 10 whole eggs
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spices e.g nutmeg or cinnamon.
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 cup of warm water for mixing
- Vegetable/Soya oil for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
1. Firstly, boil the eggs in a medium-sized pot for about 10 minutes until hard-boiled. After you done with cooking, place the eggs in bowl of cold water as enables the shell to come off easily.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spices and salt into an empty bowl. Mix thoroughly, then add the margarine/butter. Kneed the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Make a hole in the centre of the flour mixture and gently add water, bit by bit. Pour the water into the flour to form a dough then gently knead with your fingertips until it becomes a smooth, non-sticky elastic dough. Separate the dough into 8 to 10 (depending on how much is àt your disposal) equal parts and roll each into balls.
4. Place the dough on a flat work surface with flour and roll out the dough pieces, one at a time. Wrap each dough piece around an egg and roll it to a ball shape. Repeat until each egg are inside every piece of dough
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan for medium heat and fry egg rolls in batches until it becomes golden brown. To enable the rolls to cook well on the inside, reduce the heat once you add them to the oil.
Remove the egg rolls from the oil and drain on a paper towel before serving.
You can enjoy your Nigerian egg rolls with a soft drink, fruit juice, smoothie, or any of the healthy Nigerian drinks.
Nigerian egg rolls are tasty snacks you can easily make and really enjoy. It is also very nutritious because it contains a lot of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, dietary fiber and essential minerals.