Tom brown pap is a local Nigerian pap that serves as a great alternative to custards, pap, oats, and the like. It is a concentration made from a mixture of soya beans, peanuts, millet, crayfish and corn, and sometimes dried fish.
The mixture of these grains and cereals gives your body a lot of nutrients and nourishment you can’t get from talking custard or a pap.
If you’re a mother looking for a healthy formula for your baby, then tom brown is a perfect choice. Tom Brown is one of the best baby foods in Nigeria. It is perfect for weaning children and contains essential nutrients for growth and development.
Also, adults can consume it. It is not only for children. Due to its high nutritional value, it is suitable for all ages, including the elderly.
Below are some of the fantastic health benefits of tom brown.
1. Rich in fiber
Tom Brown pap is a great source of fiber, which is very important for the body.
The cereal content makes it an excellent source of fiber which helps improve bowel movement and reduce cholesterol levels.
2. Highly proteinous
Another reason why Tom Brown is a healthy food for babies is that it is loaded with proteins.
Babies and young children need protein to aid their growth development.
The soya bean content in Tom Brown makes it highly proteinous.
3. Gluten-free food
Tom Brown makes for an excellent gluten-free meal for both you and your child.
People who suffer from celiac disease or gluten sensitivity cannot eat foods that contain gluten. Hence, Tom Brown is a healthy gluten-free option for them.
4. Contains antioxidants
Tom Brown contains antioxidants that help fight free radicals, reducing the risk of cancer development in the body.
5. Packed with essential nutrients and vitamins
Furthermore, it contains essential minerals and vitamins that help the body fight off chronic diseases and reduces its risk of some terminal diseases.
The peanut in the tom brown is rich in potassium and magnesium and low in carbohydrates, which makes it very healthy for bone development.
6. Excellent source of energy for the body
Tom Brown is an amazing source of carbohydrates, which is the body’s preferred energy source.
In fact, 100 grams of Tom Brown contains over 55 grams of carbohydrates. Therefore, it is a good energy-boosting food.
7. Good for diabetes
Tom Brown is low in sugar and high in fiber which makes it a great food for diabetics.
8. Lowers cholesterol
Tom Brown is equally great for reducing harmful cholesterol in the body. It contains healthy fats and soluble fibers, which play a role in improving the good cholesterol in the body.
How to Prepare Tom Brown Pap
Below is the recipe for how to prepare the amazing tom brown pap.
- Soya beans
- Dried peanut seeds
1. Firstly, wash the millet properly to remove all the dirt particles and sand. After washing, dry it on a clean surface or a tray.
2. Prepare the soya beans by picking out the stones and dirt. You pick the soya beans the same way you pick beans. After picking, roast the soya beans in a pan until it turns dark brown. In doing this, ensure that the soya beans do not burn. After this, grind it to break it into smaller pieces.
3. Fry your peanuts (groundnut). After frying, peel it and let it cool.
4. Prepare the crayfish by picking it to remove dust. You can wash it too(this is optional)
5. Mix the roasted groundnut, fried soya beans, crayfish, and millet in a bowl and ground them together into powder form. Ensure it is smooth and soft.
6. Your tom brown powder pap is ready for preparation.
1. Boil your water using a pot. The water should be proportional to the quantity of pap you are making.
2. Like custard or pap, mix the tom brown powder in a bowl with a bit of water and beat it until you make a smooth paste.
3. Pour the tom brown paste into the pot of boiling water. Stir properly until it is smooth. Ensure you don’t leave it to form clumps. After stirring, leave it to boil for at least 5 minutes. You can reduce the heat of the gas at this stage.
4. Your tom brown is ready. You can add milk, sugar, or honey depending on your preferences.
It is great for breakfast and dinner and can be taken with fried chips, yam, or akara. You can also take bread with it or decide to take it alone.
YOU SHOULD ALSO READ:
- 12 Nigerian Foods That Boost Breast milk Production
- 7 Nutritious Nigerian Foods For Toddlers
- 10 Nigerian Foods to Avoid When Trying to Lose Weight
- 8 Healthy Nigerian Foods for Babies
- 5 Super Healthy Nigerian Cereals For You
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits of Custard Powder