As you approach your expected period of delivery, you have to do certain things that would help ease the childbirth process. Childbirth can be very discomforting and stressful. For some women, it can take hours and even turn into days before the bay can come out. This is why some people opt for Cesarean Section (CS) rather than vaginal birth.
But if you are looking forward to vaginal birth, you can try some exercise to make the childbirth process easier. Exercises can be very helpful for your health and that of the baby. The good thing is that you do not have to do intensive workouts like weightlifting or push-ups, so do not be scared.
In this post, we would be looking at some safe exercises you can do just that would allow you to have a normal delivery.
1. Kegel Exercises
Kegel exercises are very easy to do, and you can do them from anywhere. You do not need any equipment or any special clothing. This makes them one of the best exercises for normal delivery.
To do kegel exercises, you need to first find your pelvic floor muscles. You can find them by pretending to stop your urine mid-flow. The muscles that you contract are your pelvic floor muscles, and they support your pelvic organs, which include the bladder and uterus.
Once you find those muscles, hold them for about 10 seconds, then release them. Rest for a few seconds and repeat. You can do this up to 10 times for a complete set.
You can do Kegel exercises from anywhere and at any time. Doing kegel exercises can also give you stronger pelvic floor muscles. You can find out more about kegel exercises for women.
Squats are another good exercise you can do to prepare yourself for childbirth. Squats help to strengthen your legs and reduce pain during contractions. It would also make it easier to push the baby from the birth canal.
To do squats, follow the steps below:
1. Stand on a mat with your feet wide apart. Make sure your heels are firmly on the ground.
2. Push your hips back and slowly lower your body. Extend your knees while still keeping your feet firmly on the ground.
3. Lower your body till you are in a sitting position, hips back and feet wide apart, firmly on the ground.
4. Maintain that position for a few seconds, then slowly start going up. Push your hips back and straighten your legs.
5. Do this until you get to the original position from step one.
6. Repeat the process 5 – 10 times.
3. Butterfly Stretch
This is another exercise that you can benefit from. It helps to strengthen your core muscles and also aligns the baby, putting them in the pelvis in a birth-ready position. If you are familiar with yoga, then butterfly stretch would be easy for you to do.
Follow the steps below to know how to do butterfly stretch:
1. Sit on a mat and bend your knees to the size, with your feet facing outwards and the soles touching each other.
2. If you want, you can place your hands on your feet to keep them on the floor.
3. Then, tilt your body to the right side for a few seconds, then release.
4. Tilt your body to the back for a few seconds, then release.
5. Tilt your body to the left side for a few seconds, then release.
6. Then tilt your body forward for a few seconds, then release.
These exercises for normal delivery are easy to do, and you can do them right at home. If you experience any form of pain when doing them, you should stop. Also, consult your doctor before starting any of them.