The back is the pillar of the body, the spines withstand significant forces throughout the day, and back pain can become an obstacle to everyday living.
The back might hurt due to old age, sprain, or a sports injury. It can also occur as a result of chronic conditions like arthritis (a condition that is caused by inflammation of the joints) or Bechterew’s disease (a type of arthritis that causes pain in the spine).
Sudden back pain or injury should be treated by a professional. However, some back pains won’t go away easily. Likewise, some back pains are short-lived.
Health Tips For Back Pain Management
Here are a few tips to help in managing back pains and maintaining a healthy and strong spine.
1. Avoid prolonged static posture
When experiencing back pain, it is very important to pay attention to your posture, as maintaining a static posture for a long time can worsen the pain.
Avoid prolonged sitting posture, as this causes an increase in the pressure exerted on your lower back. Ensure that you stand up or walk for a while to reduce the pressure on your lower back.
To ensure that your spine is in a straight position, you can make use of straps, tapes, or stretchy bands. Make sure that your head is centered over your pelvis.
2. Practice some exercises
Back pain can cause stiffness in the spine. There are so many exercises for back pain that stretch the back and help to reduce the stiffness in the back.
It will quicken healing by improving the adequate apportioning of healing nutrients through blood circulation. It will also increase the strength of the spine.
One of the best exercises for back pain is the bridging exercise.
Here’s how to do this exercise:
- Lay flat on your back with your knees bent and just your heels on the floor.
- Push your heels onto the floor and lift your hips off the floor until your shoulders, hips, and knees are all in a straight line.
- Hold for about 10 seconds, and then slowly lower hips to the floor and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 to 12 times.
3. Quit smoking
Smoking shortens the blood supply to the discs between the vertebrae, and this may cause these discs to deteriorate.
Studies suggested that smokers have a higher risk of deteriorating disk disease or other back problems than nonsmokers.
Cigarettes contain nicotine and other tobacco products that can reduce the level of essential nutrients in the disks that support the back joints, thereby weakening your spinal bones.
4. Maintain a healthy weight
Excess weight or obesity can worsen back pains as more pressure is exerted on the disc in the lower back. Maintaining a healthy weight may help reduce back pains.
Also, maintaining a healthy diet is important when managing back pain. Consumption of anti-inflammatory foods may help reduce pain. These foods include fruits, vegetables, fiber, whole grain foods, and yogurt.
5. Maintain a good sleeping position
Maintaining a good sleeping position may help reduce back pain. During sleep, muscles and joints get relaxed and pain relieving hormones are released.
Make sure you place a pillow between the knees to keep the spine aligned. Head pillows should also be used to support the neck.
Back pain can be caused by many factors. However, it is important to maintain a healthy and strong backbone because the bone is the pillar of the body.
Some back pains can be short-lived, while some can persist for a long time. In this article, a few health tips for back pain management will help you cope with your condition properly.
- 5 Healthy Foods For Hepatitis B Patients In Nigeria
- 10 Important Health Tips For Asthma Patients
- List Of Fruits For Diabetic Patients In Nigeria
- 5 Crucial Health Tips For Sugar Patients
- 5 Health Tips For Dialysis Patients
- 7 Health Tips for Breastfeeding Mothers
- 7 Healthy Nigerian Foods for Hypertensive Patients
- How To Take Care Of A Malaria Patient