The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that we eat 1–2 portions of fish per week due to the immense benefits of fish oil to our body system.
Fish oil contains 30% omega-3s, and the remaining 70% consists of other helpful fats, including vitamins A and D.
It is essential to know that the specific type of omega -3s found in fish oil provides greater health omega-3s derived from plant sources.
In this article, you will be learning about the health benefits of fish oil to women.
8 Health Benefits of Fish Oil to Women
Fish oil is the fat or oil that is extracted from the tissue of a fish. The oil is usually gotten from oily fish like herring, tuna, anchovies, and mackerel. It can also be produced from the livers of other fish, such as cod liver oil. Here are some of the health benefits of fish oil to women.
1. Helps to ease menstrual pain
Most women during their monthly period suffer from painful cramps and abdominal discomfort and the omega-3 fatty acids content of fish oil has been proven to be effective in easing menstrual pains.
The omega-3 fatty acids properties contain anti-inflammatory properties that help to ease the woman of any form of abdominal discomfort and limit her usage of pain killer during this period.
2. Supports pregnancy and early life development
The Omega-3 acid of the fish oil is very essential to the proper growth and development of the fetus and the baby at the early stage of development.
It is advised that mothers should consume enough fish oil supplements when pregnant or lactating. Taking these supplements helps to improve the infant’s visual development and reduces the infant’s risk of allergies during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
3. Prevents rheumatoid arthritis
Research has proved that women are two to three times more at risk to develop rheumatoid arthritis than men during their middle age.
Rheumatoid arthritis happens when there is pain and inflammation in the lining of the joints caused by the body’s immune system attacking them.
The anti-inflammatory properties of the omega-3 acid in the fish oil help to alleviate morning stiffness of the joints, joint pain, and swelling.
4. Aids in fighting osteoporosis
Research has proven that women are at a higher risk of suffering from osteoporosis than men. Women have higher chances of suffering from osteoporosis due to the drop in estrogen levels in the body. However, this benefit is derived from the long-term usage of fish oil.
5. Reduces your risk of cancer
The number of cancer cases among women is on the increase. Gynecological cancers such as ovarian, cervical, and endometrial cancers are among the top ten cancers diagnosed by women worldwide. They can develop before menopause, but the chances become greater after menopause.
The omega-3 fatty polyunsaturated fatty acids are referred to as Immunonutrients that offer ample biological effects by fighting inflammation in the body cells as most cancers are linked to cell inflammation. Also, the vitamin D content of the fatty acids is linked to lowering the risk of cancer in the woman.
6. Helps to maintain healthy weight
Fish oil helps to regulate and maintain a healthy weight in women by helping to control their appetite and reduce hunger. When you consume fatty fish, you tend to get fuller quicker, and it can hold you for some hours. It is a very important food for those on a weight loss diet.
7. Fights depression
Recent studies have discovered that the omega-3 acid properties of fish oil help fight major depression (not anxiety disorders). However, researchers stated that this can be achieved from a long–term and optimum consumption of fish oil.
8. Improves the health of the skin
Women adore their skin, and the health of the skin is essential to the beauty of the woman. And as the women age, their skin health declines and the skin begins to wrinkle. So fish oil helps to nourish the skin and fights some skin disorders such as dermatitis and psoriasis.
Is Taking Fish Oil in Excess Beneficial?
Despite the fact, that the long-term optimum consumption of fish oil is beneficial to women, consuming more than grams of fish daily may increase the women’s chances of several health challenges, such as
- Loose stools
- Nosebleeds, and may affect your immune response.
The health benefits of fish oil to women cannot be overemphasized. Fish oil can help women ease menstrual pain, fight depression, prevent osteoporosis, manage their weight, and reduce the risk of cancer. To derive optimum benefits, ensure you consume fish oil in moderation and it should be consistent.
YOU SHOULD ALSO READ:
- 5 Health Benefits of Sea Moss for Women’s Health
- 8 Amazing Health Benefits of Tiger Nuts For Women
- 6 Delightful Health Benefits Of Cucumber For Women
- 5 Useful Health Benefits of Avocado for Women
- 7 Health Benefits of Keto for Women
- Kegel Exercises For Women: A Beginner’s Guide
- 7 Special Benefits of Dates for Women