If you are a man, as you age, there are some things you have to take seriously, health-wise. One of those is your prostate health. The prostate is a small organ, located just below the bladder, that is responsible for producing semen. The prostate, along with the testicles and the penis, forms part of the reproductive organ in men.
In young men, the prostate is usually small, about the size of a walnut. But as you age, it begins to enlarge, which is why it is often a cause of concern for men. This could lead to problems like frequent urination and even cancer. Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers that affect men, affecting 1 in every 9 men in the United States.
While the enlargement of the prostate is almost inevitable, keeping your prostate healthy can help to prevent some of the problems that are expected to occur as a result of the enlargement. Which is why today, we would be looking at ways to keep the prostate healthy.
As you age, the quality of your diet affects a lot of things, including your prostate health. You should realise that you are not getting any younger, and so cannot eat some of the things you used to indulge in some 10 – 20 years ago. So you should
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain a range of nutrients that keep the body healthy and even reduce the risk of having prostate cancer. Tomatoes are one the healthiest foods for the prostate.
- Eat whole-grain foods, such as brown rice, whole-wheat bread, whole-grain pasta and cereals. This is because whole grains are more nutritious and are considered healthier than normal grains.
- Reduce your red meat consumption. This includes goat meat, beef, pork, and so on. Instead, eat fish, eggs, and skinless chicken or turkey.
- Cut down on your consumption of sweetened foods, such as sodas and other processed foods.
- Eat foods that are high in healthy fats, such as nuts, olive, and avocados.
- Eat only when you need to and avoid eating more than you can handle.
Doing exercise as often as you can also help to keep your prostate healthy. You do not have to visit the gym to achieve this. Doing simple exercises like jogging, running, stretching, sit-ups would keep your body fit and your prostate healthy. You do not need to lift weights at the gym, so you can avoid that if it is not something you are cut out for. There are some exercises for a healthy prostate, which you should do regularly.
Just make sure to live a fit and healthy life.
Smoking is a habit that creates a lot of problems, increasing your risk of having prostate cancer. Quitting today can reduce your risk of prostate cancer.
Drink Green Tea
Something as simple as drinking tea can help to keep your prostate healthy. This is because tea, especially green tea, contain antioxidants that can reduce the risk of having prostate problems.
Go For Regular Prostate Screening
While you are doing all you can to keep your prostate healthy, you should also make sure that you get screened regularly. This would allow the early discovering of problems, which would make them easier to treat.